Dear all,

In my VirtualBox images, I seem to have a problem with keyboard
keystroke repeat.

In a guest OS session, when in a shell window, or a VI session, I hold
down a key for a
few moments, it suddenly keeps on repeating for several minutes in a
row. E.g, arrow-down,
or repeated 'dd' in VI kept pressed for a short time then released
does quite often not just
move down, or erase a few lines, but suddenly keeps repeating for
several minutes (moving
down or erasing rest of file and at end of file keeping to repeat like
crazy).

If I'm 'just in time' to release the pressed key, the behaviour is OK:
repeating a few times
then stopping. There seems to be a point where behaviour toggles from
normal to erratic
is a split second.

I have this in Linux guests (both Centos and Debian have same
symptoms); Windows guests
do not seem to have the issue.

While I have the issue in one guest, this is completely blocked (mouse
moves work, but clicks
are not giving any effect; other windows in the guest do not respond
any more). When trying
to stop the guest session, after some time I get a box telling me the
session is not responding
to host system signals, and I get an option to "forcequit".

Other guests running at the time are responding, but when moving into
another guest while
the symptoms are locking another guest, I seem to lose randomly
keystrokes in the other guest.

On the host, I have no problems. And the locked guest does not seem to
take excessive
host resources (as per gnome-system-monitor) for VB 3.1.4

I tried this on systems with VirtualBox 3.0.2, and 3.1.4. Both seem to
show similar behviour,
though on 3.0.2 I could see the guest taking 100% of one CPU core
while having the erratic
behaviour. So may not be similar after all.

I tried this on host systems running Debian-Lenny in 64-bit mode; and
on Debian-Squeech
(recent load) in 32-bit mode, with same results.

Guests I tried where CentOS-4.8 (latest fixes); CnetOS-5.4 (latest
fixes); Debian-Lenny;
and Windows erver 2003. All guests in 32-bit mode.

In all cases, I used the VB extensions for the guest OS and matching
the VB version used.

The symptoms  are sort of annoying. Anyone out there that had similar
issues and might
suggest a solution?

Thanks for responding to this.