He did say they were "hardcore" right?

In that case each user has their own domain. I didn't say it scaled, just
that it worked. ;-)  The whole idea behing vpopmail and toasters in general
is that users don't get interactive logins and thus can't run PINE or any
other MUA on the server.

If they're hardcore then they're running Unix on their workstation and can
access their mailbox from PINE on their system connecting to the vpopmail
servers using POP or IMAP.

Matt