Hi Zeno,

First let me say there's no need to drop me a copy of your answer to my
e-mail-address directly. I'm reading the list, therefore answering on
list is sufficient.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:17:47 +0200
Zeno Davatz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Replace '/home/vpopmail/' with the path to vpopmail home directory
>> (e.g.'~vpopmail/') of your installation. Should have been obvious
>> you should do a test run of vchkpw, _of course_ with correct paths
>> :-/

> alphonse:/etc/init.d# [EMAIL PROTECTED] P=info printf
> "$U\0$P\0SDKFJSD\0" | strace -o /tmp/vchkpw.log -s 256 -f -e
> trace=file,read/usr/sbin/vchkpw /bin/true 3<&0; echo $?
>
> I get:
> 0

So in general authentication seems to work.

How 's your POP3 started? What's the complete invocation command that
makes use of vchkpw for authentication?

> strace -f -s 512 -o /tmp/clearopensmtp.strace /usr/sbin/clearopensmtp

Seems 'clearopensmtp' hangs in function 'tcprules_open()' in vpopmail.c,
line 1939. Why? I dunno.

As you stated you're using still 4.9.9-1 I'd suggest you remove
vpopmail-bin from debian pool and compile at least a 5.2.1 from
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail, if not even a 5.3.8 from same site but
devel page. The latter I'd call quite stable so there shouldn't be to
much risk left.

If the problem persists with newer version we'll probably be able to
hunt down the culprit, at least much easier than me or anybody else
installing a 4.9.9 with Debian specs and do the debugging job for you
(albeit I'm running Debian [Woody] too I don't want to step back, it's
not worth the trouble as the older version is quite outdated).
--
Pit