I've been working on integrating SpamAssassin into my FreeBSD mail toaster setup (and it'll work similarly with Bill's or any other vpopmail setup).

One of the biggest problems I've found is the lack of "good" vpopmail support in SpamAssassin. I've hacked it up and added some of my own code to it so that you can use SpamAssassin via qmail-queue at the server level (IE, for every incoming message) or strictly at the user level (via maildrop/procmail/etc).

However, my goal is NOT to publish my version of SpamAssassin. I've sent several emails to Justin (SA author) regarding this but have yet to get a response from him. Maybe he added the vpopmail support to SA and got offended that I didn't think it was good enough. I don't know.

SpamAssassin works just fine with vpopmail as it's published, but only if every domain is owned by vpopmail, and you run spamd with the "-v -u vpopmail" flags. I think there was something else I had to do but I don't recall what. The only problem with this type of setup is there's no way to provide vpopmail users with individual spamassassin settings (like whitelists, etc). That's the functionality I added to my version of SpamAssassin. It also necessitated a couple hacks to qmail-queue.

Matt