I combine Spamassassin with MySQL and it seems to work just fine on a
domain-wide installation. My .qmail-default (for domain-wide filtering)
looks like this:

/usr/local/bin/spamc -f -u $EXT@$HOST | /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail
'' bounce-no-mailbox

This is OK, but I would like to have it differently:

1. Have it user based and just using it domain-wide if the domain
administrator wishes to (to reduce the overhead)

2. User based I would like to get rid of flat .qmail files and JUST use
MySQL to check wether a specific user want to be filtered and if yes
then get the spamfilter settings.

Normally it would be quite simple to have Step 1 configured, but since I
want to migrate vpopmail totally into MySQL (for different PHP Frontends
and other administrative purpose) this might be a little bit more
complicated.

If there is no straightforward solution on that issue, is it possible to
set the domain-wide spamassassin config (
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf ) NOT to check spam by default and then
override these settings per user from MySQL? In that case I could leave
.qmail-default as it is and still having a user based filtering.

Has anyone worked with that so far? I know that this is not the usual
way to user Spamassassin but there might be people out there who have
the same thoughts about MySQL ease as I.

Thanks for giving clues.

Andy