Hi
I have previously installed on redhat without any issues. Now I am trying to install vpopmail on debian 3.0 .

I get the following error.

gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o vchkpw  vchkpw.o libvpopmail.a -L/root/mysql/lib/mysql  -lmysqlclient -lz -lnsl -lcrypt -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [vchkpw] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/vpopmail-5.2.1'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/vpopmail-5.2.1'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Now, I installed the libmysqlclient10-dev package using apt and the includes and libs have been installed on the system. When this failed I downloaded the source for mysql and installed it into /root/mysql (as you can see by the output above) as a temp solution. It seems this did not work either.

So if I use the default locations for the libs and incs it fails, and if I use the temp install I made, it fails. Failing at the following line:

gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o vchkpw  vchkpw.o libvpopmail.a -L/root/mysql/lib/mysql  -lmysqlclient -lz -lnsl -lcrypt -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
I am at a loss as to why this is failing. I looked through the makefile and there are alot of references to -lz
I was tempted to remove them all, but thought I should find a real answer here.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? What is the -lz all about (I am a long way from being any kind of programmer...)

Regards

Brad