----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Kolaci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] vpopmail as a daemon

> Hi,
>
> Well, I don't see the need.  vpopmail was made for qmail.
> Qmail invokes vpopmail using vdelivermail.
>
> What exactly would you daemonize?

Authentication and access to vpopmail control functions. Creating users, domains,
aliases, etc...

Of coarse parts of vpopmail wouldn't run as a daemon because qmail doesn't work that
way. I suppose I wasn't clear about what I
thought might be a candidate for 'daemonization'.

---------------------

OK. I get the feeling that the vpopmail daemon idea isn't very popular. As I mentioned
before, I just threw it out there to get some
feed back, and now that I have, I realize that I haven't thought it through all the
way yet.

A protocol would have to be developed for external apps to talk with vpopmail, and
while such a protocol could be designed 'for the
future', so that current apps wouldn't break with future versions of vpopmail, I'm not
sure that it would be worth it in the end.

As I mentioned before, I strongly dislike NFS. I think a vpopmail specific protocol
could be engineered that would have a much
higher efficiency than vpopmail+NFS, but that's as far as I've thought it through.

Also, I'll note here that I don't yet have need for a cluster, and have never
implemented/used a vpopmail+NFS cluster. Therefore, I
realize that vpopmail+NFS may very well be an excellent solution, and that I may just
have an incorrect idea in my head regarding
the speed and overhead that is required to run NFS.

So... with that in mind, I'm going to conclude that I don't have enough experience or
knowledge to really debate the pros and cons
of a vpopmail daemon.

If everyone could shift their attention to the 'vpopmail extension modules' thread, I
would still like to discuss some things about
that idea. (And I DO have enough experience and knowledge to have an intelligent
discussion about it!)

Thanks for the comments!

And thanks for reading!

Jesse