Hello Wil,

On Monday, March 31, 2003 at 6:54:46 PM you wrote (at least in part):

>> See the brand new FAQ entry. :)

>> http://matt.simerson.net/computing/mail/toaster/faq.shtml

> I don't know alot about the syntax used in tcp.smtp. I am a copy/paste kinda
> guy. So do I just drop this in as is?

If you're satisfied with what it does: yes. Of course you've to
rebuild the CDB file after pasting.

> What is confusing me is line 3 below looks like a comment but maybe
> it is supposed to. Also is line 3 supposed to have a closing
> quotation mark?

Yes, it is a comment, yes it should have a closing quotation mark.
No, you haven't read the documentation of tcprules, have you?

> {The obvious localhost, etc.}
> =:allow
> :allow,RBLSMTPD="Blocked - Reverse DNS queries for your IP fail. You cannot
> send me mail."
> #:allow,RBLSMTPD="-Blocked - Reverse DNS queries for your IP fail. You
> cannot send me mail.

> I noticed your comment on "If you want to be a little more aggressive" in
> your docs. Yes I wan't to be very agressive. I want it to drop the attempt
> to connect on the floor with a permanent error.  Would the above do this?

No, the above wouldn't. Please read this sentence again, and this time
completely:

"If you want to be a little more aggressive about it, use the 5th line
instead of the fourth." (in your example third instead of second).
Quite easy: comment the second line out and remove the comment mark on
the third line. Rather easy, even for a "copy/paste guy" (which
shouldn't administer a mail system at all if he don't want to read
documentation, but assumes all configuration is "ready to be copied").

But PLEASE ... read the comments that describe lines 1-4 on the web
site again and again, until you understood them. Line two might
prevent you from blocking this lists server ...
I guess you should block anything automatically, unless you finally
understood what you're doing. You might annoy you and innocent third
parties if you don't know what your finger actions results in ...
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther

Originality is the art of concealing your source.