The only thing I would add to this is the following:

KEEP ROOT THE HELL OUT OF EVERYTHING!

Root is a special user, you should only log in as root under the most extreme circumstances. Create a user name for yourself, assign the rights you need to administer your system to yourself, and leave root out if it.

Novell & even those idiots at M$Soft get this. NEVER EVER use the account that has *** ALL *** the keys to the kingdom for anything except when aboslutely required, especialy in E-MAIL!!!!.

Bill