On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Gerald Villemure wrote:

> Would GREATLY improve the usability of vpopmail in many environments.
>
> Am I the only one to think this?

No, I'm sure, but right now I think there's a lot of work going into
cleaning things up and making some basic decisions on how things should
work going forward.  I'm sure there's plenty of people that would love to
see a PHP qmailadmin work-alike, and there is already one (kind of) for
squirrelmail, in the form of a plugin.  It's a hack though.

When the next devel cycle happens, I think it would be worthwhile to look
at turning vpopmail into a fully db-backed delivery agent.  Some goals
that that would help accomplish are:

-easy development of a web frontend in any language that can talk SQL
-easy integration with other web products, such as squirrelmail
-ability to use vpopmail with other MTAs
-easy integration with many billing backends
-more efficiency; instead of having to read upwards of five files for
every delivery and executing as many programs, one db call and one call to
a filteing program.

It seems to me that vdelivermail is very close to being able to do this.

Additionally, working support for other MTAs into vadd/delete would not be
terribly difficult...

I think a vchkpw-devel list would also be worthwhile.  It has helped keep
things in order for qmailadmin...

Charles