I don't use this version but i have a problem like this in vpopmail
5.3.29 and sqwebmail-3-6.1. But I use vpopmail 5.3.30 and
sqwebmail-3.6.1 and i don't have the message anymore, I can change
the password in this version.

Did u have configure with :
  configure --enable-changepass=yes
when you install sqwebmail ?

And this configuration in vpopmail:
  configure --enable-sqwebmail-pass=y

This tags is used in version vpopmail-5.3.22 below, and i try to find
this tags in version 5.3.30 but i can't, maybe this tags is only for
old version of vpopmail.

Oh yeah .. you have to configure :
        --with-authvchkpw
in sqwebmail's configuration.