yes you should use smtp-auth that's what I use and I have had this for over 5 years now..

Works all over the world as long as the internet connection does not block port 25 hehe, which then I create an iptables rule where using an upper port goes to the qmail server port 25 and I can sent without any problems

Just my 2 cents.
Remo

Davis Sylvester wrote:

I am using Qmail and Dovecot for IMAP. Prior to installing Dovecot we only offered POP3 and SMTP services. The issue I have run into is that after I installed Dovecot, IMAP runs fine, but when my users go to send email they can't.

We are using POP-before-SMTP for SMTP auth. Since there is no POP account anymore no one can send outbound email.
We use vpopmail to manage all domain and virtual domains.

Is there a simple resolution to resolve this issue? I have looked at SMTP-AUTH but not sure it will work with vpopmail.

Thanks in advance!

!DSPAM:4c8a6f7a32718216860805!