I don't disagree with any of your points :)
I use FreeBSD, I don't know why anyone would run Linux for any real server load - I'M JUST KIDDING! :))

Have you taken a look at Matt Simerson's toaster script? It's targeted at FreeBSD, but I'm fairly confident the instructions are OSX friendly. At least in the past they were.

http://www.tnpi.net/internet/mail/toaster/

Rick

Quoting Kurt Bigler <k...@breathsense.com>:

***

I would consider running QMT in a VM, but would rather avoid a VM.  I've
never touched CentOS.  My "distro" of choice still would be Mac-native.  I
suppose I would try building from sources and see what happens.  I really
don't want my *entire* server in a VM (just qmail+vpopmail if really
necessary) and also really don't want multiple IP's, and suspect sharing a
single IP with host and mail VM would be problematic.  I already have native
Apache, SQL, PHP, etc. and figure it is a good thing to leave it that way if
I want to "try" Mac for whatever it may be worth.

But if the whole idea doesn't work maybe I will just install some linux on
my Mac mini.  But in that case I suppose I could put the whole thing in a
linux VM under MacOSX and run SoftRAID in the Mac host.  It is just not
stuff I'd thought through since I naively didn't expect Mac to be such a
problem.  If it really is such a problem, then I guess the "why Mac"
questions may be sensible.  It just surprises me.

-Kurt