Hi,

Reinhard Nissl schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Martin Wache wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason why the cAudioRepacker is used in transfer mode and
>> during recordings, but not while replaying?
>
> Well, when cAudioRepacker was active while recording, then there is no
> need for it when replaying such a recording.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the repacker only when replaying and
in transfer mode and not while recording?
Like it is now, it is possible that the device gets either repacked
audio frames (transfer mode and new recordings) or not repacked frames.
If the device needs repacked frames the device has to find out if it is
replaying an old recording to play and if so, split the packets. I guess
in most cases it is a lot simpler just to repack everything. Which means
in most cases to do the repacking twice...

> And old recordings will
> vanish as time passes by.

I don't buy this argument. I know that there are VDR users with large
archives of recordings, do you want to tell them that they can't use
them any more?

But anyway, actually I think the best would be only to repack audio and
video if the replaying device needs it. As far as I know FF cards don't
need it, the softdevice doesn't need it (ok, it depends on the ffmpeg
version one uses, but the patch I send fixes this).
So why not let the device choose if repacking is needed or not? It
should now if repacking is needed, and in most cases it should be able
to do it by itself.

Bye,
Martin