Hi Klaus,

On 02/05/15 16:56, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

The question now is: is "bisect" the right word here, which a native English speaker would use? Or should it rather be "halve"? Or something completely
different?

IMHO all these fancy words are a bit overblown.
I am not a native English speaker but I consistently use
the English version of software where available.

So I suggest to keep it simple and use words that even I
can understand. ;-)

Instead of "to bisect" or "to halve" I would use "to cut in half".

Of course, it it *has to be* a single word, then
http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_opposite_of_doubling_a_number
suggests halving.

Carsten.