beyond just the WebappLoader, the VelocityTools project is also home
to the VelocityViewServlet (designated successor of the deprecated
VelocityServlet), and several simple, drop-and-go example apps you can
play with until you get things working.

basically, if you're developing a webapp with Velocity, you should
look into the VelocityTools project.  it will make your life much
easier. :)