hi Velocity team:
I am an user of Velocity from China. Thanks for your perfect production. Through your creative and hard work, we have such Convenience and Powerful tools in our toolbox. but i have encounter some mistakes in the Velocity User Guide which in velocity-1.4\docs directory.
1) in Escaping VTL Directives section.
      \\#if( $jazz )
         Vyacheslav Ganelin
      \\#end

      In this case, if $jazz is true, the output is

      \ Vyacheslav Ganelin
      \

    after i run this code fragment,the output is :
      \ Vyacheslav Ganelin \
i think it's reasonable,because there is no "<br>" tag,so the browser(my is IE 6.0) doesn't output the backslash in a new line.

2) Advanced Issues: Escaping and !
     #set( $foo = "bar" )
     $\!foo
     $\!{foo}
     $\\!foo
     $\\\!foo

   This renders as:
     $!foo
     $!{foo}
     $\!foo
     $\\!foo

  My output is:
     $!foo
     $!{
     $\!foo
     $\\!foo
  i was confused.
  Contrast this with regular escaping, where \ precedes $:
     \$foo
     \$!foo
     \$!{foo}
     \\$!{foo}
 This renders as:
     \$foo
     \$!foo
     \$!{foo}
     \bar

 My output is:
     $foo
     $!foo
     $!{foo}
     \bar

 it seems like clerical error.

3) Velocimacro Trivia
Currently, Velocimacros must be defined before they are first used in a template. This means that your #macro() declarations should come before using the Velocimacros.

i defined VM after they are first used in a template, it also work. i don't know why.

 hope your reply.

     best regards

                     sun wei