Nigel Smart <ni...@compsci.bristol.ac.uk> writes:

Hi Nigel

> Just tried to install VIFF to have a play around.

Cool! :-)

> I followed the instructions at...
>
> http://viff.dk/doc/install.html#gnu-linux
>

> Issues:
>
> a) When typing...
>
>           python setup.py install --home=$HOME/opt
>
>   I get the directory
>
>           $HOME/opt/lib/python
>
>   created, but not
>
>          $HOME/opt/bin
>
>   There seems to be no error messages in the setup.py output. Has
>   setup.py run correctly?

Hmm, you're right -- it's a mistake in the install guide. We actually
don't have any binaries to install yet. So far we only have small
example application scripts in the apps/ folder.

I'll update the installation guide, thanks for the report! :-)

> b) I then go do viff/apps and type...
>
>    python generate-config-files.py -n 3 -t 1 \
>    localhost:9001 localhost:9002 localhost:9003
>
>    Resulting in the error message
>
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "generate-config-files.py", line 57, in ?
>     from viff.config import generate_configs
>   File "/home/projects/crypto/Linux/lib/python/viff/config.py", line 33, in ?
>     from viff.prss import generate_subsets, PRF
>   File "/home/projects/crypto/Linux/lib/python/viff/prss.py", line 47, in ?
>     from gmpy import numdigits
>   ImportError: No module named gmpy

Yes, you need to install GMPY:

  http://code.google.com/p/gmpy/

(or use a package, if you one is available in your package manager).

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multiparty Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.