On 22nd May Lex wrote the following:

That's exactly what a bourdon does. Probably that was what the temple viejo was
designed for. When there is an interval of a fifth between the lowest strings
of the guitar, the lowest one is used predominantly as an open string. It has
always been used like that, even in the 19th c. with a composer like Fernando
Sor. But also in the repertoire of the 4-course guitar in temple viejo it could
work like this. Mudarra's first Fantasia is something like an exception. It is
polyphonic, and yet the guitar 'a de tener bordon en la quarta'......

I was going to let this matter drop, but on reflection there do seem to be some
further points worth making on this topic.

As a former violinist I would say that in general instruments tuned in fifths
are melody instruments.   The 4-course guitar which played old romances was
probably a melody instument played with a plectrum.  For this reason it may
also have had a re-entrant tuning (like the cittern which has a fifth between
the 2nd and 3rd courses.)

I recently came across an interesting quotation referring to Apollo from a book
printed in 1490

tanesse muchos suaves instrumentos de musica e senaladamente la guitarra, con
su propio pulgar, dexada la penola

he played many sweet instruments of music especially the guitar, with his own
thumb, leaving aside the plectrum.

Drones are more a feature of instruments capable of sustaining notes than
plucked stringed instruments.

Not does the interval of a fifth relate specifically to a drone.  There are
several pieces in LeRoy's Cinquiesme livre de guiterre  which are "a corde
avallee".  These are intabulations of songs and the lowered 4th course is
necessary to fit the part writing onto the instrument.  It is not used as a
drone.  There are also 4 fantasias in Fuenllana f.104v-106v in which the sixth
course of the vihuela is to be tuned down a tone for the same reason.  As you
say Mudarra doesn't use the 4th course as a drone, so why should he refer to it
as if it were one?  The whole point of tuning down a tone is to extend the
compass of the instrument.

I'm not sure what you mean by "It has always been like that".  It seems to me
that it hasn't always been like that! Perhaps you could give some examples of
16th  century guitar music which feature a drone.  In later pieces which do,
e.g. in Murcia's Folias Gallegas he doesn't tune down - the drone is the
interval of a fourth between the 4th and 5th courses (unless of course you play
it with the French tuning - perhaps this is an indication that you should!).
In other words a drone is as likely to define the interval of a fourth.  It is
not necessary to tune the two lowest courses a fifth apart to supply one.

If you look carefully through Mudarra's book you will see that instructions
which apply to one particular piece always follow the title.  The note about
the fretting and the bordon precedes the title of the first piece and it would
be strange if one part of the sentence referred to all the pieces and the rest
of it only to the first.  Both instructions are intended to ensure the
instrument has an adequate compass.

There is no reason why Mudarra or his readers should have associated the temple
viejo with a drone or used "bordon" in this sense.  He had the terms temple
viejo and temple nuevo at his disposal which presumably everyone understood.
It is just for convenience sake they appear at the top of each page instead of
after the title.

Cheers