I haven't seen the book but it's very likely to be this one:

http://tinyurl.com/mu2pcu

If the link won't work, search http://tinyurl.com/fnorz (first by clicking on "Instruments et oevres d'art") for E.980.2.296

Anyway, there is little hope for the book as old as that to bring any 'sensational' breakthrough illustrations. For the time being, I'm afraid, we are stuck with just two (i.e. Granata, Rabel).

Alexander

Monica Hall wrote:
   I see that Donald Gill says that there is a drawing of the neck and
   pegbox of a late example of a theorboed guitar in the G. Thibault
   collection reproduced in a book by A. Berners "Preservation and
   resoration of musical instruments".

   Has anyone seen this?  It's in the BL but I can't get there this week.
   Martyn?