    From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
    Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Composition of short songs in early 17th
    century Italy - was Marini - was Grenerin
    To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
    Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Martyn Hodgson"
    <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
    Date: Monday, 25 April, 2011, 14:57

  > I was thinking of the theorbo playing a harmony on G while the guitar
  > would be doing an F major at the same moment.
  If we are still talking about Marini surely the theorbo and guitar are
  not meant to be playing together.  It's either or - or have I lost the
  plot completely?   Are you not confusing Grenerin with alfabeto songs.
  Different repertoire etc.....
  With a bowed string there
  > would of course only be the G in the bass.
  > Do we have indications that bowed string bass instruments were used
  in
  > this repertoire, in combination with plucked (or strummed) bass?
  I don't think so - surely we all agreed about that.   Strictly speaking
  you were supposed to accompany yourself.