To: "vl" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:44 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Roncali chords

  I've been practicing a suite by Roncalli but I only have a zerox of the
  one suite and no info about it. There seem to be a few altered chords
  (do you call them taglia?) and I wonder what they are supposed to be,
  as they sound fine when played as the regular type.

  On p. 28 in the Corrente, fourth line, last full measure, there is a
  "C" with a curved line that is clearly different than the C five
  measures earlier. A regular D major chord seems to work fine. If the
  alteration means leaving off the 5th course, that may indicate that the
  fifth course had a bourdon, otherwise what would be the point? I would
  have to rethink things then. With the French tuning it would still
  sound in root position. A sus chord sounds wrong to me.
  The "D" in the pickup measure to this piece also looks different from
  other Ds. I don't know if this is a special chord or the copyist just
  did it differently there.
  TIA
  Ed Durbrow
  Saitama, Japan