Sorry - it's not you that is going batty.   It is me being careless
   (well -  it was late on Saturday night).

   I was referring to the Ciaccona which is on p.49 and the actual passage
   is towards the end - on p.50, the 3rd stave down.   The first full 4
   bar variation is played on the 4th and 5th couses with alternating
   thumb and fingers.  With octave stringing on the 4th course it is very
   difficult to play that passage evenly (at least for me) because it is
   natural to stress the high string with the thumb and the bourdon with
   the finger.

   Perhaps Lex can do it perfectly - but I would like to hear him do it.

   As ever

   Monica