I think Oliver Strunk is wrong.   I have read the relevant passages in
Agazzari and according to my notes the instrument in question  is referred
to as a chitarrina.

That said I don't think that you can make a clear distinction simply on the
basis of variant spelling.

What Agazzarri says is that there are two groups of instruments.   Group 1
includes keyboard instruments.   Group 2  includes Leuto, Tiorba, Arpa,
Lirone, Cetera, Spinetto, Chitarrina, violino, pandora & altri simileā€.

He also says that some stringed instruments can reproduce the bass part as
well - i.e. the lute & arpa doppia and some are imperfect i.e. cetera
ordinaria, lirone, chitarrina, viola, violin, pandora.

I think that it is far from certain that the chitarrina/o was guitar shaped. If you read the article by Meucci it does seem fairly clear that the 4-course guitar was unknown in Italy. The 5-course instrument was a novelty. A chitarrina/o is a small lute.

Millioni is a bit different since the tuning corresponds to the first 4
courses of the 5-course instrument.   But it wasn't printed until 1631 -
incidentally after Amat's book which does mention the 4-course guitar.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "wikla" <wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>