Many thanks.
   This is the old 'Italian' tuning of the Renaissance cittern. So maybe
   this cittern tab is a lot older than Santiago's (as you suggest). This
   cittern version of the tune seems much more primitive. And Santiago's B
   section is 16 bars.

   I think it may be older than generally supposed.  It is very crudely
   copied.   But I believe some of the repertoire is later than early 17th
   century.
   Re-entrant tuning on plectrum citterns always strike me as odd - though
   there's no doubt about it. Why would you want to set a melody line
   which jumps between first and fourth courses? It's not campanella, and
   it's just plain awkward with a plectrum.

   In my experience it isn't awkward at all.   I borrowed the Lute
   Society's cittern and played through all the pieces - which mostly
   consist of a sequence of strummed chords and a single melodic
   line which splits the melody between the 4th course and the 1st and
   2nd.  With a plectrum this works perfectly - it is the same as
   altenating thumb and fingers.  It seemed entirely logical to me.  And
   when you strum the chords it doesn't matter that the lowest course
   isn't the 4th.

   As I understand  the renaissance cittern has only 4-courses because the
   wire strings are all the same length.   They pass over a bridge to the
   nut.   Because of its limited compass having a re-entrant tuning is an
   advantage.

   If you have more low bass strings you need to have the bridge set at an
   angle so that these are longer than the treble ones.

   Monica