20033;  and the suggestion
  that using the 3rd fret to act as a pivot (for example to play 00232),
  whilst certainly true, is a bit desperate:

In your previous message you actually said...

"This is also a very good and practical point"!

Try playing the progression   A   B   C   A  at speed and insert a 4-3
suspension into chord C for good measure.   It is not a question of being
desperate - it just doesn't make sense to do it other than in the standard
way.

  my explanation for 20033: including that it results in a reasonably
  equal mix of thirds and fifths in the harmony (especially if the
  French/Corbetta tuning is employed) - see earlier.

Originally we were not talking about Corbetta - at least I wasn't.   That is
a red herring.

Do you really think that the different voicings of the chord sounds appreciably different. What about all the other chords which which double the 3rd?

I feel that the problem with a lot of people on this list is that they are not primarily baroque guitarists. Some of you at least play a wide range of instruments in a wide variety of styles including pop music. You are not thinking in terms of the specific styles of playing in the 17th century but approaching the subject in an abstract way.

As far as harmony lessons are concerned- well - I learnt that rules are a guide to good practice but don't have to be adhered to slavishly and there are some circumstances in which they don't apply. And I studied harmony and counterpoint to degree level.

Best

Monica

  regards

  Martyn