Thanks to Alexander Batov for the translation (and details) of the Sychra piece

A. Sychra: I told my beloved (almost all in first position, no variations)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2I4iCqvf4w

M.Vysotsky (or not!) Prelude 2 from Preludes, early 19th century but published in the 1840s by Stellovsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMuDVI4IWYY

The "or not" in brackets would be immediately obvious to anyone who has played the classcial guitar if they can see the image of the page of music on the video. It should be HD but it's all blurry. But the image gets clearer as it plays and I'm referring to the pieces that precede and follow Prelude 2.

I really like the little Prelude 2 although it has 'issues' and I've altered three notes. A few years ago, the only 19th century Russian guitar music I could find in Britain was what is, or was, listed as a tutor by Vysotsky. It turns out to be all or most of his collected works as published by Stellovsky. I got half of it. I might have got the bad half but I suspect the other half is the same. Vysotsky was an uneducated serf and the 75 collected works were published after his death. As far as I can see none of them are immediately playable. Later editions of Vysotsky - almost always virtuosic variations on folk tunes - have been thoroughly edited and ready to play - for those who have the technique to play them!

Stuart

---
is active.