Probably not - it was just reprinted over and over again without any attempt to correct errors in the original edition or to up date it. By the time the latest editions were printed the 5-course guitar was going out of use.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Forrester" <peterforres...@waitrose.com>
To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Amat's 7 string guitar

Very many thanks. It is what I suspected. But it does raise the question whether anybody was using it?

Best wishes,  Peter

Never! it is included in the earliest surviving edition of 1626 and was included (uncorrected) in all subsequent editions right through to the end of the 18th century. It is also included in the plagiarized edition edited by Andres Sotos printed in 1764 in Madrid.