I discussed this with Owain in person at a renaissance fair several years ago.
The short answer is yes.  He played a deliberately modern instrument that looks
kinda renaissancey to entertain an audience that is seeking fantasy via
idealized anachronism rather than expecting anything like a historic approach.

I stumbled across him doing a set with a small ensemble while I was reluctantly
wandering the grounds of a renaissance fair in the late 1990s.  I knew of his
New World Renaissance Band but had never seen him perform before.  Afterwards,
I approached to discuss his interesting instrument.  I said something like,
"That's an interesting piece you have there.  It looks to be a modern
steel-string guitar fitted with something similar to banjo tuners and
ornamented to emulate the famous Jaquemart-André vihuela held in a Paris
collection."

He replied something like, "This is a chitarra battente," in spite of the fact
that he played it entirely fingerstyle.

I told him exactly what design features are typically considered to constitute
the chitarra battente that arose in Italian-speaking places of the baroque era.
 However, the conversation had already ended by then, and I just hadn't
realized it had.

He actually knew chitarra battente perfectly well.  He played one by James
North (1993) on the album Sweet Was the Song (1995), although he rearranged its
10 string capacity to span six courses.

Yes, I actually liked his sound.  I consider it a slightly guilty indulgence
only to be selectively revealed to my HIP friends.  Unfortunately, cancer took
Owain in 2012.

Best,
Eugene