The Lute Society in England was given a Mexican 5-course instrument which was supposed to pass as a baroque guitar. I borrowed it for a while and thought it was awful - very heavy in constuction. It was strung with nylgut which I had never used before and hated but I am not sure whether gut strings would have been an option. It didn't have a rose either and that affects the sound quality. They are not the same as a real baroque guitar in my limited experience.
I would be careful and have it on approval before buying it.
Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matteo Ravasio" <matteoravasi...@gmail.com>
To: <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 8:55 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Jarana as Baroque Guitar

  Hello,
  A friend told me about his 550$ Mexican-made Jarana, which he uses as a
  baroque guitar. The luthier who makes these instruments is Tacho
  Utrera. He is happy with the instrument.
  As I am considering ordering one, does anybody have any direct or
  indirect experience with this kind of instrument? I had the chance to
  listen to a sample: It maybeA does not sound as 'dry' as a baroque
  guitar, but overall the sound was good, quite unlikeA a classical
  guitar.
  The alternative for a cheap instrument would be the Thomann baroque
  guitar, but that's risky, I believe.
  Thanks in advance for your help!
  Best,
  Matteo