Dear Monica,
   Have a look at FoMRHI Comm 663 (Bulletin 41, October 1985) in which I
   report on two early sources of recorded violin string diameters
   (Tartini's and Riccati's) and their application to Strad's instructions
   for the chitarra tiorbata.
   Here's the link
   [1]https://www.fomrhi.org/uploads/bulletins/Fomrhi-041.pdf
   I presume Strad related more to the violin and hence their string sizes
   since these were such a substantial part of his output and more
   common....   I also briefly discuss the translation of his instructions
   which is generally in line with what you say below.
   I applied these sizes to guitar stringing and arrived at average
   tension of artound 3.2Kg per string and a total tension on the chitarra
   tiorbata of around 34Kg.  But I thought it prudent to express some
   caution then, as I'll also do now:    " The speculative nature of some
   of the previous analysis means that few unequivocal conclusions may be
   drawn...."    Nevertheless, I believed then, and still do, it gives a
   reasonable indication of the tensions employed.
   regards
   Martyn

   On Wednesday, 26 June 2019, 07:31:05 BST, Monica Hall