Mark Manning wrote:
Ok, after downloading the current items on the web page at vim.org both C and Perl are working ok (in both Windows and Cygwin/Linux). Basic still has the problems from before. Thanks to everyone for speaking up. :-)

To Tony: Thanks for the diff command. I'll see about posting it but not until after Bram has said it is ok. :-)

I also see that the web page version of 7.0 is very out-of-date (If I put in "echo version" it comes back as 700. Even the 7.0.17 version comes back as 700 (which turns out to have been installed into /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin)). Ok. Now all I have to do is to rsync the Cygwin version and CVS the Windows one so they are both up-to-date. A few more minutes work. :-)

1. Next time, please use a more explicit "Subject:" line, and, if you continue a single conversation, use "Reply to all" rather than "Write new mail". It makes a difference on mail clients which, like mine, can group posts by thread.

2. version will be 700 on all patchlevels of 7.0. To see the highest patch number included, see ":intro", and to see them all, look at the first four lines of the output of ":version". If the latter doesn't say "Included patches:" then you have an unpatched version. The latest patchlevel of 7.0 is currently 99; any new patches will be published by Bram in the vim-dev list. To test (in a script) whether such-and-such a patch was included, see ":help has-patch".

3. Programs which come bundled with a Linux distribution will usually be installed in /usr/bin unless there's a reason to put them some other place (such as /usr/X11R6/bin or /opt/kde3/bin). /usr/local/bin intentionally comes ahead of all those places in the $PATH, so additional software added by the user will take precedence if the program name is the same. To see all the places in your $PATH where an executable named (e.g.) vim has been installed, and also all aliases (if any) for "vim", use (in bash or similar shell)

        type -a vim

If there is more than one, the first one listed is the one which will be invoked when you type just "vim" at the shell prompt.

Best regards,
Tony.