Ali Polatel wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>   I was playing around with langmap and found out there is a problem with
> characters
> 'ı'[1] - 0131;LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS I - and
> 'ğ'[2] - 011F;LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH BREVE
>   The Turkish keyboard looks like this[3] for those who don't know about
> it.
>   The problem is when I set langmap=ıi small dotless I doesn't work as
> expected. I'm using tr_TR.UTF-8 locale and I tried it both on the
> console,with consoles on X and with gvim. The same is true
> for g with breve. The other turkish keys work fine with langmap. I wasn't sure
> if this was about my system or vim so I made some people with turkish
> keyboards
> try this:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ vim -c "set lmap=ıi
> > execute \"normal ıhi\<Esc>\"
> > let line = getline(1)
> > if line =~ \"hi\"
> >    echo \"The dotless small I works as expected\"
> > else
> >    echo \"The dotless small I doesn't work with langmap\"
> > endif "
> - - there is probably a shorter way but anyway :) -
> and they could reproduce the problem.
>   Internationalizing dotted and dotless letter "I" has always been a
>   problem[4] but I don't think this is the issue here because the same
>   problem exists for g with breve.

>From ":help 'langmap'":

        This only works for 8-bit characters.  The value of 'langmap' may be
        specified with multi-byte characters (e.g., UTF-8), but only the lower
        8 bits of each character will be used.

I guess most Turkish characters are in latin1, only the ones that are
not won't work with 'langmap'.

3. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries
   with that.