Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a good reason not to simply follow symlinks when they are
> encountered, as this user obviously expected?

If it did follow the symlink to /dev/null, and tried to read from that
device, it would fail.  You can't (or at least, shouldn't) read from
/dev/null because it's a sink, not a source.  What kind of behavior
would you expect, trying to read from /dev/null?

> I realize that unsetting viminfo is preferable to linking .viminfo to
> /dev/null; but I believe we still have a responsibility to users who
> just happen to try a different route (perhaps being unaware of the
> "canonical" method), for which they have a reasonable expectation that
> it will DTRT.

I think soft linking a file that is meant to be both read and written
to the bit bucket demonstrates that the user has just enough knowledge
to be dangerous but without knowing exactly how to get what they want.
As that kind of a user, I would expect an error message of some sort,
in this situation.

--
Taylor Venable
[EMAIL PROTECTED]