I wasn't aware of that feature. Thanks for the tip! :)

-----Original Message-----
From: A.J.Mechelynck [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 5:35 PM
To: Larson, David
Cc: vim-dev@vim.org
Subject: Re: I can't change the font in vim7.1!

Larson, David wrote:
> I just upgraded to 7.1, and now when I open up a gvim session, I get
> this huge monospaced font that I can't change. If I type:
>
> :set guifont?
>
> it returns "7x14" which is what I set it to, but it isn't what is
> displayed. If I change the setting to *any* other font that is valid
for
> my system, the display doesn't change, although the guifont setting
> shows that it is set to the new value.
>
> Help!
> David
>
> :version
> shows:
>
> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 14 2007 09:50:48)
> Compiled by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Big version with GTK2 GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

With a GTK2 GUI, you can set the font interactively, using

        :set guifont=*

This will bring up a font chooser menu. Thereafter,

        :set guifont=<Tab>

will show on the command-line the exact command (with escaping
backslashes if
and where needed) that you need to write into your vimrc to set that
font.

There are (including the obsolete kvim) five different "families" of Vim
GUIs,
each of which requires a different 'guifont' format, not accepted by
other
GUIs. The following is what I use in my "portable vimrc" to "sniff" the
GUI
version:

if has("gui_running")                 " console Vim cannot set the font
         if has("gui_gtk2")            " GTK+2, not GTK+1
                 set gfn=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 9
         elseif has("gui_photon")      " Photon GUI
                 set gfn=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono:s9
         elseif has("gui_kde")         " the obsolete kvim
                 set gfn=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono/9/-1/5/50/0/0/0/1/0
         elseif has("x11")             " other X11 GUIs including GTK+1
                 set
gfn=-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-100-*-*-m-*-*
         else                          " non-X11 GUIs including Windows
                 set gfn=Lucida_Console:h9:cDEFAULT
         endif
endif

Best regards,
Tony.
--
... My pants just went on a wild rampage through a Long Island Bowling
Alley!!