A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

Yes, yes, but before the division, will it be able to hold the file size? (sorry, I meant st.st_size) Will mch_stat (at line 10134, one line before the context of your patch) be able to return "huge" file sizes?

mch_stat is variously defined, depending on o/s.
Under unix, that's the fstat function.
This function returns a pointer to a struct stat; the member in question is: st_size.
(off_t     st_size;    /* total size, in bytes */)

So, st_size is an "off_t".

Under linux, an "off_t" is  typedef __kernel_off_t        off_t

So, I suspect that st_size will be sized by the o/s to handle whatever size files it can handle.
Someone with a 64-bit machine, perhaps, could examine this further?

BTW, I'm also under the impression that "ls" itself uses fstat(), so its not likely to be any
more informative.

Regards,
Chip Campbell