On Tue August 5 2008, Ted Pavlic wrote:
> > I have vim 7.1.245 from Fedora, which ships some tex.vim files.
> > Nevertheless vim-latex is still run, e.g. the folding is still done by
> > vim-latex and \ll runs latex. Maybe some features are not working, is
> > there some minimal tex file where something does not work for you without
> > setting tex_flavor? Or where may tex_flaveor be already set, it is not in
> > my .vimrc or
> > in /etc/vimrc.
>
> Try opening an empty file (e.g., "blah.tex") with no preamble.
>
> On my system, if Vim can't find a "\documentclass{article}", it defaults
> to plaintex. As a result, none of the Vim-LaTeX menus load in gvim (or
> mvim in my case) and none of the folding/shortcuts/etc. work.

Looking at the comments in /usr/share/vim/vim71/filetype.vim it may be a bug
im vim, because they default to plain instead of latex, when they do not find
any latex commands, but the comment says, they would default to latex.
Therefore this should be discussed with upstream first. Maybe they can be
persuaded to use latex as default for empty files that have a .tex suffix.

Btw. it is possible to add a "plaintex_latexSuite.vim -> tex_latexSuite.vim"
symlink in the ftplugin dir of vim-latex, then vim-latex will also open for
empty .tex files. But I am not sure, whether or not this is a good solution.

Regards,
Till