Sorry, I should have mentioned that spell was being set in my .vimrc
file. I've tried creating the tex.vim file and adding the suggested
line setlocal spell. What I just discovered is that the spell
underlining works for certain tex files but not others! That's very
strange. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!