Many thanks Gary

I have managed to sort it. While the vimlatex instructions refer to $PATH
the windows path variable is merely called "Path". So there's the VIM name
and the windows name. I'm getting it to compile in a directory with no
space in the path, and now I need to experiment with a directory with a
space in the path

Thanks for input!

Nick

On 21 July 2013 06:26, Gary Johnson <garyj...@spocom.com> wrote:

> On 2013-07-19, Nick Riches wrote:
> > Hi Gary
> >
> > Thanks for response. Here's some more info...
> >
> > - When I type :echo $PATH in vim I get a whole load of stuff, but it
> doesn't
> > appear to contain the environment variable for latex.exe. (image below)
>
> Right.  I think you need to add the directory of latex.exe to that.
> It may work to add this to your vimrc:
>
>     let $PATH .= ';C:\Users\Nick
> Riches\Documents\miktexportable\miktex\bin'
>
> > - The path (called $PATH) is "C:\Users\Nick
> Riches\Documents\miktexportable\
> > miktex\bin", so it definitely contains a space. It's very difficult to
> get rid
> > of this space as it is part of my user name (I would have to set up a new
> > account and transfer everything over - a big pain)
>
> If I could set up my Windows system again, I would not give it it my
> first and last names.  That space has indeed been a huge pain.
>
> In my case, my MikTex files are under "C:\Program Files", but that
> space never seemed to cause a problem for vim-latex.
>
> > - Command to compile is \ll
> >
> > - The compile tells me that it "Ran latex 1 time", but it doesn't pick up
> > errors, and no .dvi appears, so it doesn't appear to be running latex.
>
> When I compile LaTeX files, I also get a file with a .log extension.
> You may find a clue in there.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

Lecturer in Speech and Language Pathology
Room 1.9
King George VI Building
Queen Victoria Road
University of Newcastle-upon Tyne