I have forward and inverse search working in vim with the following
settings:
compile rule is

let g:Tex_CompileRule_dvi = 'latex -src-specials -interaction=nonstopmode
-file-line-error-style $*'

in ~/.Xresources I have

xdvi.editor:            gvim  --servername xdvi --remote +%l %f

and I launch gvim with the command

gvim  --servername xdvi $@ file.tex

The point is that all of this works fine only within gvim: if I open
file.tex in the shell with vim I still have forward search but I do not
have inverse search any longer.
My question is: is there a way to define settings so that reverse search
works regardless of the fact that I use vim or gvim?

TIA