Steve Amerige wrote:

The ability to split windows is an absolute essential; however, there are times when I want to focus on one buffer in one window and hide all of the other windows. But, I don't know of any show/hide feature that hides all windows but the current window. As a workaround, I resize all of the windows to give maximum space to the window I want to see, but this then makes me resize all of the windows again when I want to restore the windows.

So, by any chance, is this a feature that is already implemented and I don't know of it?

Perhaps ZoomWin will do what you want...

Type ctrl-w o to toggle between maximizing one window and restoring to all. By maximizing, I mean that the current window will take over the entire display, not leaving a lot of status bars around.

Regards,
Chip Campbell