On 9/26/06, Robert Hicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yakov Lerner wrote:
> On 9/26/06, Robert Hicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I did a standard install of Vim7 on HP/UX and multi-byte was not
>> enabled. I looked at my Windows version and multi-byte is enabled.
>>
>> What would determine for me if I need to enable it?
>
> in :version, see whether you have +multi_byte or -multi_bytes.
>
> Yakov

On the HP it is a "-". The question for me is do I want it or need it
enough to recompile Vim for it?

I understand now your questions.

1. If all you use vim for is programming and scripting in English and
languages based on Latin alphabet, then no, you don't really need multibyte.

2. If you write in Chinese or Japanese or Corean, then yes, you
need multibyte.

3. If write/read texts containing Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/non-Latin scripts
together, then yes, you want multibyte.

If your situation is not as black and white and 3 choices above,
then your level of need to have multibyte would be something
in between.

Yakov