On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 03:25:13AM -0600, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I'm using Vim64 in Kubuntu and cannot change the color background when
> doing a search.  The background color is a kind of darkish orange - I
> _think_ it's numbe 3.  I'd like to have LightYellow but nothing I have
> done so far changes it.
>
> From my ~/.vimrc:
>

> set hlsearch
>
> " toggle hlsearch in normal mode:
> map <F1> :set hlsearch!<CR>
> " or insert mode with imap:
> imap <F1> <ESC>:set hlsearch!<CR>a
>
> " result of :hi search is
> " xxx term=reverse ctermbg=3 (orangy)  14 is ltyellow
>
> " None of the below worked
> " ------------------------
> " hi search guibg=LightBlue
> " hi Search       guifg=#eeeeec guibg=#c4a000
> " hi Search guibg=14
>

> Any ideas how to change the background?
>
> Larry

     It helps to be clear about what you have typed and what vim
responds, as in

:hi search
Search         xxx term=reverse ctermfg=0 ctermbg=14 guibg=Yellow

instead of mixing your comments (such as "results of ... is" and
"(orangy)  14 is ltyellow".  I suggest using :redir and the :Echo
command from foo.vim, my file of example vim functions:
http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=72

     I am guessing that you are using vim, not gvim.  If I ma right,
then chaining guibg is not going to help.  Try

:hi Search ctermbg=14

instead.

:help :hi

in general and

:help highlight-args

in particular.

HTH                                     --Benji Fisher