>I know this is a bizarre request.  I would like to prevent Vim from
>going to my Home directory.  The reason is that my IT department has
>mapped my home directory to a laggy network drive with a login script.

>I can't override the Windows environment variables which set up the
>home directory, because the login script overrides my settings.

>I can set up the environment in a DOS box, but I like to be able to
>invoke Vim by using the "edit with vim" context menu item.

I got the same damned thing here at work, where everything's locked up
tight and I can't touch it.  "Policy", and all that...  :P

My own workaround for 'vim' and other critters is to just grab the usual
desktop shortcuts, set the properties to what I prefer, and dump 'em
into the "Send to" directory.  Will be one level down from the "Edit
with Vim" thingy, but at least it's a workaround.

Same thing for using Firefox 1.5/2.0, Opera, Netscape 4.8, 6.x, and up,
etc., instead of Exploder, so that I can pick which version for testing
webpages in different browsers, and so on.  If you can't override the
defaults, dump 'em there and edit the prefs to your heart's content.