Tony Young wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to see if I can get vim/gvim to work with our work Sun box.
>

> I Installed and used instructions from
>
>       http://www.vim.org/
>       http://www.vim.org/download.php#unix
>
> Downloaded the runtime and source files together: vim-##.tar.bz2
>
> i.e. I used: [ 6575205 Nov 22 17:46 vim-7.0.tar.bz2 ]
>
> for install help, I used
>       http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html
>       SECTION 35 - BUILDING VIM FROM SOURCE
>
> And typed commands (as root):
>
>       Make
>       Make install
>
>       To install using defaults.
>
> When  I use
>
>       Gvim
>
> I get the following error
>
> $ gvim
> E233: cannot open display
> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>
> I am running on a
>
> Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.8       Generic Patch   October 2001
>
> The result of the :version within gvim is
>
> +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand
> +jumplist
>  -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
> +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
> -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm -multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
> +netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile
> -python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
> -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
> -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar
> +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
> +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact
> +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
>    system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
>      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
>       user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
>   system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
>     user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
>     system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
>   fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"
> Compilation: cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF
> -I/usr/dt/inclu
> de -I/usr/local/include  -O  -I/usr/openwin/include
> Linking: cc -L/usr/dt/lib -R /usr/dt/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib
> -R/usr/openwin/lib -
> L/usr/local/lib -o vim  -lXmu -lXext -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -ltermlib
> -lnsl
> -lsocket  -ldl
>

> According to the website:
>
> http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/gui.html
>
> for the error E233, it says that
>
> First you must make sure you actually have a version of Vim with the GUI code
> included.  You can check this with the ":version" command, it should include
> "+GUI_Athena", "+GUI_BeOS", "+GUI_GTK", "+GUI_Motif" or "MS-Windows ... bit
> GUI version".
>
> I would guess that I need a suitable graphical interface for the Sun box I am
> [...]

Tony

Firstly, the simplest way to get vim onto the box is to download a
package from sunfreeware (http://www.sunfreeware.com/).

If you want to build it yourself, make sure you have the right libraries
installed. I seem to remember using gtk.

However, the "can't open display" sounds like you have not set & export
the DISPLAY environment variable. Do you have a graphics terminal
connected directly to the Sun? Or are you using another machine with an
X server to display on? Can you get other apps to run (what happens when
you type xterm)?

HTH

Bob