The easiest thing to do would probably just to do :e after
your :w. :e will re-read the file, wiping the undo buffer.

Ah, didn't know about that side effect.  I knew there had to
be an easier solution.  :-)  Thanks!

Max is correct (and it is quite easy), though just be aware that there are some other side effects that go with that method...particularly marks and your jumplist for the given file will also go up in smoke in the same way as your undo history.

You may or may not want that effect. But every alternative way of clearing the undo history that I've thought of has also cleared these items as well so it's just tough luck. :)

-tim