On Dec 4, 2007 5:40 PM, Tony Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> skelker wrote:

> > I have noticed that swap file writes are done in 4K blocks, but file
> > reads are done in 64K blocks. If it isn't possible to adjust this
> > behavior with configuration, then I suggest opening this up as a
> > performance issue that could be addressed in future releases of gvim?

That's not quite true, is it?  The number of pages in a block times
the page size (hopefully the page size of the file system) bytes are
written at a time.

> Swap file writes cannot be delayed, or the swap file would lose its utility:
> thus swap file writes happen more often (sometimes much more often) than edit
> file read/writes or swap file reads. OTOH, swap file writes are usually
> limited to a rather small area at the end of the file. Thus it is essential
> for performance (and also to minimize the risk of getting a power-fail halfway
> through a swap file write) to keep the swap file buffer as small as reasonably
> possible, while the "ideal" size for the edit file (which is always written
> /in toto/, but much less often) is quite bigger.

Bullshit.  Unless you also fsync [1] there's no guarantee that
anything you've written will be on disk at power-failure time.  So the
number of bytes written at a time is not relevant.  In fact, writing
fewer bytes is going to increase your chances of data loss, as you're
making more system calls, which wastes a lot of time.

Regardless, I wonder how much of an issue this really is.  It seems to
me that the code is quite optimized

[1] fsync is a slow operation, especially on a reiser4 file-system.