With

set backupcopy=auto

Vim on Cygwin 1.7 removes write permission when writing a file not
owned by the current user on a Samba share.  I realize that this can
be a Cygwin (1.7) problem, so I’m mainly asking whether anyone else
has stumbled upon this problem.  The Samba share has ACL support
turned on and gets its user information from an Active Directory.
Files with a mode of 0770 (which is what all files on the share have)
get a mode of 0750 after Vim has written the file.  File ownership is
retained, but, after the first write, further writing won’t be
possible.  Setting force security mode = 0770 in smb.conf solves the
problem, but that’s a suboptimal solution.

So if anyone has stumbled upon this problem, please, please help me.
I’m losing my mind over this.