On Apr 4, 5:53 pm, Brett Stahlman <brettstahl...@comcast.net> wrote:

...snip...

> I have noticed that some terminals (e.g gnome-terminal) don't display
> italic properly. I'll investigate, but I don't believe there's
> anything Txtfmt can do beyond ensuring that the Vim syntax region has
> the italic attribute. Is the gnome-terminal the only one that displays
> the remnants of the oriental looking characters?

I see that rxvt-unicode supports italic nicely. In fact, the Txtfmt
test page looks about as nice in a urxvt terminal as it does in the
GUI! I can't find any evidence that xterm is intended to support
italic. Bold, underline, inverse, blink, and even hidden, but not
italic. The xterm man page describes an option that suggests it might
be possible to have underline displayed as italic, but I'm not sure
that would help even if it worked, since it would force you to choose
between underline and italic. Gnome-terminal supports xterm control
sequences in addition to some VT220 extensions. VT220 doesn't appear
to have added an italic attribute. So it appears to me that rxvt-
unicode is the best of the 3 cterms I have on my system (at least from
a Txtfmt perspective). Does anyone know of other color terminals that
support italic?

Thanks,
Brett Stahlman