I'm trying vim after years of struggling with emacs and the awful
layout of standard keyboards.  Back in the 80's I was lightning fast
with emacs.  But then the PC came around, and I've been tying my
fingers in knots ever since.

So: the first thing I notice about vim is that my right hand is not in
home position in control mode.  I have to move my hand over one key to
get to hjkl.  So now when I try to hit "i", my middle finger
instinctively shoots up, and I hit "u" instead.  Wha...  it seems like
such a goof-ball thing to have to do: move your hand back and forth by
*one key*.

Am I the only one who has this problem?  Is there a way (how, please,
in newbie language) to remap hjkl to jkl; ?   What problems will that
buy?  I presume most people just learn how to shift the hand back and
forth by one key.

If I stick with vim, I'll swap esc and caps-lock.  (Whoever put caps-
lock in prime real estate should be imprisoned.)